Home   |   eNewsletter   |   Contact Us  

View Poll Results: Would you put your kids in the entertainment business?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • I disagree with all of it.

12 35.29%
  • I think it is all fine.

3 8.82%
  • I think some of it is fine. (explain)

16 47.06%
  • Modeling only, no pageants.

6 17.65%
  • Pageants are fine.

0 0%
  • TV and music industry is fine.

1 2.94%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would you put your kids in the entertainment business?

Saw an Oprah with Hannah Montana (AKA:Miley Cyrus) and it seemed she was really being pushed into show business at a very young age (8). She didn't even really have a childhood. I guess Billy Ray is back in the spotlight now...good PR move...at who's expense?

Poll coming

I think it all really depends on the type of kids you have and the parents' attitude. Personally, it is not for my family.
    I do not want people to be agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them.
    - Jane Austen

id twins born 9/23/05 @ 36w 2d

My instinct is to scream "Noooo!!!" but I also hate the idea of holding them back from something that they really wanted to do. I guess my answer is that I would never put them in it. I want absolutely no part of it. If, however, they were absolutely desperate to do it, I suppose I'd have to try and find a way to support them. The thought makes me feel icky though.
    ~Christina~

I think it depends on the situation but I myself HATE to see kids in pageants that have more makeup than adults wear, and they are so little!
    Jenn

I think it depends really. I would want my kids to approach me about going to an audition or something and I would take them, but I would not push them to do anymore than they ask me to do. I remember there was an audition for something (I forget what) when I was maybe around 10 years old, I wanted to go but my parents wouldn't take me because they didn't think I would get chosen anyway. It made me feel horrible to have my little dream squashed, at least to try. Then I remember they changed their minds and said they'd take me, but I told them no. After their initial reaction, I felt defeated, like they were probably right. I don't want my children to feel that way about any of their dreams...even if they are probably unattainable, if it is something they enjoy, I'd want to support them as much as is reasonable.

It seems like bad parenting is bad parenting no matter what the child is involved in. It is probably a different kind of stress for the young celebrities but it seems like it is still up to the parents to bring a sense of normalcy and make sure their child still has a good childhood.
    Karen, proud mommy to Nicholas and Maddy

I think that way too many parents try and live out their dreams through their kids - I also think it's a big issue for twin parents (of same gendered babies), since TV/Movies require at least 2 babies for 1 role. For the most part I am against it, I don't think that it teaches the right lessons (ie fierce competition, looks are the most important thing, etc) - but then again, I think it does teach some good lessons. Ultimately, if my kids want to act, I'll do what I can to support the "habit" - I refuse to become a stage mom. If they want to model or do pagents, I'm thinking - the last thing I need is my child not getting a modeling job because they were "too pudgy" - that kind of thing.
    ~Amanda~

M&A 12/17/06
    36 wks 2 days, came home with Mom

I chose "modeling only". We did it with our girls...then it got to be way too much and way too involved and I stopped. I think once a child is old enough to so say s/he wants to do something (ie, tv, music) then it's ok. I wouldn't be able to say no and deprive them from something they want to do. What if they really had a talent and I was the one holding them back?

What if Mrs. Spears didn't let Britney and Jamie Lynne perform at a young age

Emma & Izabel
    November 2, 2005

It's not for us.

I will encourage them both to learn to play an instrument. DH knows how to play soooooo many so they really should learn how to play something.

I don't think that's the same at all, though.

I think if one or both of them has a lot of talent (I know they do already ) and they really wanted to perform and was scouted and I thought they were mature enough but not tooooo mature I'd allow it. I would really have to make sure things stayed very small. I would do anything I could to prevent superstardom though, because I feel sad for what happens to child superstars when they age. The entertainment industry has become VERY unkind lately. I laughed because it won't ever happen anyway. I live in the sticks.
    ~Cat~
    At home mama to twin girls and another on the way!

I am ok with modeling. I don't like pagents I think it makes sweet little girls look like adults. I don't think the tv/music industry is for us. I want the girls to enjoy their childhoods. I think they could do that and some modeling on the side. If they really wanted to do the tv/music I would support them but I am definatly not pushing them into it.
    Amanda
    Olivia Marie 5lbs. 4oz.
    Katie Grace 5lbs. 0oz.
    36 weeks 0 days
    No Nicu!

Quote Originally Posted by lettered olive View Post
    I think it depends really. I would want my kids to approach me about going to an audition or something and I would take them, but I would not push them to do anymore than they ask me to do. I remember there was an audition for something (I forget what) when I was maybe around 10 years old, I wanted to go but my parents wouldn't take me because they didn't think I would get chosen anyway. It made me feel horrible to have my little dream squashed, at least to try. Then I remember they changed their minds and said they'd take me, but I told them no. After their initial reaction, I felt defeated, like they were probably right. I don't want my children to feel that way about any of their dreams...even if they are probably unattainable, if it is something they enjoy, I'd want to support them as much as is reasonable.

It seems like bad parenting is bad parenting no matter what the child is involved in. It is probably a different kind of stress for the young celebrities but it seems like it is still up to the parents to bring a sense of normalcy and make sure their child still has a good childhood.

I guess I should support my own vote. If modeling was what I thought it was, I would let Rachel do it but I have to admit, I looked into it and you have to have an agent and everything, even for a BABY. It is just too fierce and too fast paced and serious. I want my children to have time to spend with thier family fishing, hiking, having a picnic, horseback riding...instead of going to audition after audition.

I HARE beauty pageants. I think it sends the wrong message and it creeps me out to see all those tiny little girls all dressed up like floosies.

I will let my kids do whatever they ask, if I can manage it. BUT..right now they are too young to know what they want, so it will have to wait until they are old enoug hto make an informed decision.

I voted I think it is all fine and I think some of it is fine let me explain...I think all 3 tv/modeling/music can be fine if the child really wants to do it (the child, NOT the parent pushing the child). When they are babies, well then it's up to the parent, but if and when the child doesn't want to anymore they should pull them out! I modeled as a child and into my 20's until the year I got preggo with my son (still in my 20's, but busy with little people right now =)) Anyhooo I was fortunate to have great parents who didn't push me into it and who taught me right from wrong...I turned down MANY auditions and jobs due to immoral content, but I can thank my parents for instilling values in me. It is funny I just came across this thread, b/c I was just looking up twins and modeling. I even went on my agencies site to see what it said....as I was thinking of maybe putting the girls into it?????? I just don't want to do it if it is going to be the type of thing where they sit around and wait for hours for auditions, that is no way to spend your childhood. I go back and forth in my head, I would love to have the pics from the shoots for their futures, but still haven't made up my mind =)???

No way. Plenty of time for that when they are adults. My DD is 10 and dying to act. There is no way I am going to put her in the way of such a corrupt atmosphere at such a tender age. She will just have to wait. I want to protect her innocence and have her enjoy her childhood as long as possible.

Mom of an 11-yr-old girl and identical 8-yr-old boys.

I have to say, my niece has been doing it since she was a baby... it has slowed down for her as she no longer does pagents and is selective in what she auditions for now (she's 10) but she has done well and has a nice college fund My sister has let her choose what / where / when as she has gotten older. I do have to say though, when she was younger, she was 'older' than her actual age.
    Proud Mom to AJ and Zach

always thinking I should be somewhere else

Quote Originally Posted by Jane View Post
    No way. Plenty of time for that when they are adults. My DD is 10 and dying to act. There is no way I am going to put her in the way of such a corrupt atmosphere at such a tender age. She will just have to wait. I want to protect her innocence and have her enjoy her childhood as long as possible.
    Is she in childrens theater??

My niece has been in local, college run, theater troops since she was 5 or 6. She has such an imagination and loves story telling!! IMO she does not have a natural tallent - but she enjoys the heck out of it!!! She is not afraid to be on stage - but she is not an attention seeker. She goes to a voice coach for singing - it was her idea - and she has a beautiful voice.

So, instead of sports - her activity is acting and singing. and the way it is handled it is not unlike any other 11 yr old on a sport team... some after school practice and weekend performances.

And since this is what I know - I totally agree with this approach - but not the talent scouting, out of 'normal' life circumstances of getting into acting and modeling etc...

I absolutely do not agree with pagents
    Jenny - SAHM to beautiful fraternal twin boys .
    8/4/04 at 36wks 3days

Quote Originally Posted by Jane View Post
    I want to protect her innocence and have her enjoy her childhood as long as possible.
    I love that and feel the same way.
    ~Cat~
    At home mama to twin girls and another on the way!

Jane sums it all up in one sentence. Gotta love her.

I voted I think some of it is fine, explain. I wrote a big reply days ago and lost it, argh! Am just getting back to this on my birthday. I think you have to define entertainment industry as it can mean very different things in a small market vs big. It seems that all the replies are talking about big markets as with small markets, you are lucky to get one audition a year...let alone jobs.
    Since my girls do work in the biz, I am often harshly and unfairly judged. I say unfairly because I have the girls' best interests at heart and if you know our situation, you'd realize it is all good. As their Mom, I choose managers and agents who's goals are like mine, to ensure the girls have a wonderful childhood. I choose how much we work, how many auditions, what types of jobs. I actually turned down work and auditions in October because I felt we had all had enough and needed a break. Agents, managers work for you, not the other way around! We have also defined the types of auditions we will go on, no longer choosing the "cattle calls" where every hopeful in the area shows up. The girls have now arrived at a level where the work comes to them most of the time, they have earned that.
    For sure, it is a tough industry and not for everyone but there are also many levels to it...from community theatre to feature films. Some of the most rewarding aspects of the girls' level of fame is their contribution to our community. They LOVE performing at community events and have helped raise money for many worthy causes from cancer to march of dimes to cerebral palsy and so on. Seeing the smiles they put on the elderly in retirement homes and the children in hospitals, just warms my heart.
    I know Miley's agent, Mitchell Gosett, of CESD in LA. He is a very decent man who won't represent a child unless she/he is extremely talented and self driven with parents who have their child's best interests at heart. He, like all the other top agents, won't touch a stage mom with a 10 foot pole. I'd say, Miley is right where she wants to be. Very few kids achieve the super stardom that she has. She is a very motivated child.
    So far, the girls LOVE entertaining. We have had a blast at every job just like I have my entire life....always meeting super nice people and having fun and WOW we get paid for this too!? The girls had college paid for with 3 jobs, less than 3 days of work and we all had a total blast. As long as they want to do it, I will find a way for them to continue with it. A way that doesn't interfere with school and fun. First comes school, then comes fun, then comes work which is kind of like school and fun.
    Those stage parents do make a bad name for all of us. Not every child or family is right for the biz and it is wise to do your homework. Also, not everyone has to shoot for the highest stars! There are plenty of ways to feed your creativity with community theatres through your local school or church. Brooke and Beth are in drama club and love their weekly drama class so much that they ask me to count down the days til their next class!
    It is very important to be sure your child is right for the industry. I have seen moms of twins who think that just because they have twins, they are in! Yikes! There is soooo much more to it than that! The twin thing is less of a plus than people think. For sure, it is a plus which helps in this competitive industry, but more importantly, your child/ren have to have the right temperment/personality/desire and on and on.
    The girls work as models, actors and singers. I do not understand beauty pageants for kids and would never consider it for my girls.

Carolyn (Mom to identical twin girls born at 28 weeks due to ttts on June 26,2000)

I allow my girls to do some modeling- I am picky about what companies and what they wear. The idea of a little kid modeling a swimsuit that "bad guy" can look out makes me sick.

I also hate hate hate stage mom's who go on and on about their child and are way to involved and care more about it then their kid.

That said, the girls have a good start to a college fund.

No pagents here.
    Diane-
    Mom to
    Kira 01-31-01
    Kiana 02-14-03
    Addison & Berkeley 08-07-06

It isnt for us. Tho the thought of my boys being models is alluring only for the professional quality photos I would love that.

My little cousin Kate has acted since she was 6. She grew up in Las Vegas and was part of The Rainbow Company, an acting troup. She had marvelous roles and played Helen Keller which got her a lot of Hype from local media. The only movie she has ever been in is "pay it forward" where she was an extra with no lines. She is a Junior at Northwestern now and studies Theater. She will be famous one day, I feel it. She is very talented. She ahd a wonderful childhood and never felt any pressure to be something she isnt. I am very proud of her.
    LOCO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast