Home   |   eNewsletter   |   Contact Us  

Thread: SSI Question

Angry SSI Question

I am curious to see how many people have had trouble getting SSI and how you dealt with it. We were turned down due to income but I am being advised to appeal that and ask them to submit the medical application anyway. Has anyone else been through this?
    Mom to Lance and Sean (Identical) 8 years old

Proud to be married to a member of the United States Air Force

April is National Autism Awareness Month

Putting the pieces together. . .

I apologize for my ignorance, what is SSI?

SSI is supplemental social security income. If your children have a disability, you can apply and receive money each month to help cover expenses. Also, if you get SSI, you automatically are eligible for Medicaid. But it's hard to get the SSI. Most people make too much money or their children aren't disabled enough according the to standards. It's a tough fight but one that is worth it if you win.

Default We tried to get SSI also.

We made too much money. Their limits are very low and you are only alowed around $2000 in savings. In Wisconsin, if your child would qualify for medical portion there is a program called Katie Beckett. This program is based on your child's handicap not your income. But it is only Medicaid, no extra money. Your child is not allowed any assets. There is a $ limit. That is easy enough to avoid.

We're going to have to wait until Thomas is 18 so he can apply for SSI himself.

There are other programs to access small amounts of money. In my area there is Easter Seals, CP Center and a county program Family Support. They each will give you a certain $ amount a year for equipment or improvements to make you home wheelchair accessable. They each have their own rules.

Good luck I know it's no fun.
    Lot's of Smiles!!!
    Michal 1/11/96
    Thomas 4/15/97
    Jaclyn and Ashley (identical) 4/21/99
    Amber and Paige 5/14/02

We are working on the disability determination and I just sent in my SSI appeal. I know that's probably a lost cause but you never know. We have programs in our area that with funding and I need to look into them.