Home   |   eNewsletter   |   Contact Us  

Default counting fetal movement with twins

I've been trying to count fetal movements and I'm using the sheet from the hospital. They want you to count 4 movements in an hour, or at least 6 in an hour.

I'm wondering if the counts are different if you are expecting twins - anyone know?
    Casey, 7lb, 4oz
    Paul, 7lb, 8oz
    38w 4d

Hi there,
    I've been asked to do this too, but it makes me neurotic. My impression was that you should do it for each baby seperately- so if you go by 4 an hour, it should be 4 for each baby. I know sometimes it's hard to tell who is who, but I guess we're just supposed to our best. Good luck!
    Nicole

Mom to Sylvia 9/19/06
    Pearl 4lbs. 9oz. and Colton 4lbs. 5oz.
    born at exactly 37 weeks: no NICU, vaginal delivery!

Pearl 5 weeks

Colt 5 weeks

I could never tell who was who either! Violet was very low, and Lila was up high, so I would guess a lot of times who was kicking. I think if you are feeling movement in lots of places you are safe!

Lori

My peri told me if I'm feeling about 10 kicks in an hour then not to worry. He wasn't too concerned with me differentiating between the two of them.
    Emily

Miles Benjamin (5lbs 14 oz)
    Jonah Walker (6lbs)
    Born May 28th 2008 (37 weeks 4 days)

I was told it's the same number, but you're supposed to count per twin. If possible. But even they admitted that it's sometimes hard to differentiate between the two. That was SOOO frustrating trying to figure it out!
    Taryn
    Cameron 9/18/01
    Carson 10/6/03

Emerson 4/19/06
    Bryson and Addison 4/23/08 (37w 4d)

I had a tough time with that exercise also.

Twin B never stopped moving. It was hard to find even 3 movements an hour for Twin A, and most of what I got for her was hiccups!

Their personalities were distinctive even then! Twin B has always been going nonstop; twin A's activity level is more normal for her age at all stages.
    Beth
    Mom to: Freddie 23, 7/86,
    Janelle 22, 2/88, Her DH 24 8/85,
    Gregory 19, 10/90,

and twins born 3/04 35w 5d Molly and Anthony
    Coming this fall: 2 grandbabies!

Smile

My OB had me not do this... just had me keep track of whether or not they moved consistently during the day. He said that trying to track 2 babies is just a lesson in futility. I tried anyway and he was right.. I usually got to see all sorts of movement anyway at all my NSTs and BPPs anyway practically every week so I got my reassurances there.
    Cheryl (36) - Mommy
    Lee (51) - Daddy
    Anna and Lily arrived on May 12th 2008

thanks for you all of your responses. I just got back from L&D and it turns out that Baby B, while head down for the past month, actually is now breech, which explains the change in movement patterns. But all is well. Counting the movements is almost impossible, if one moves, the other moves.
    Casey, 7lb, 4oz
    Paul, 7lb, 8oz
    38w 4d

Is everything ok? Why were you in L&D???

I have the same situation, my Baby B is breech so feeling his movements his tough, plus apparently his placenta is on the front which makes it even more difficult.

Hope you are alright!
    Emily

Miles Benjamin (5lbs 14 oz)
    Jonah Walker (6lbs)
    Born May 28th 2008 (37 weeks 4 days)

Quote Originally Posted by pirategirl View Post
    Is everything ok? Why were you in L&D??? !
    Yup - all is good! I went in because the fetal movements had slowed down and changed so much over the past 3 days for Baby A - but now it's because they moved position.

Thanks for asking - still need to get myself that milkshake
    Casey, 7lb, 4oz
    Paul, 7lb, 8oz
    38w 4d

I thought that it was imposable too. My OB just said that if I felt that there was a decrease in movement to call. I insisted on extra BPPs to keep track of the health of my boys and ease my worried mind. I couldn't tell them apart. And having an anterior placenta makes it even harder.
    Stephanie
    Killian & Declan born 37w6d

9 months old