PDA

View Full Version : How long after stopping meds did you deliver?

sqibb
11-01-2004, 01:58 PM
My OB told me today that they will only keep me on the meds to stop labor until 34 weeks and then they will not do anything to stop it. I am getting the steroid injections today and tomorrow. I am worried the babies will come as soon as I stop meds. I am on Procardia 10mg every 4 hours.

How long after you stopped meds did the babies come and what kind of meds were you on? Thanks in advance for your responses. Jen

11sungoddess
11-01-2004, 05:09 PM
Why are they giving you the steroids? Are you having more close calls?

I also asked this question not to long ago but didn't get very many resposes. But thanks to those who did respond :D Anyhow hopefully more will respond on your post.

Megan

sqibb
11-01-2004, 05:21 PM
Hi Megan, yeah I was back in L&D on Saturday for contractions. At first when I went in they didn't show-up on the monitor, I think they thought I was a nut, but one of the babies heartrates was REALLY racing so they watched it for a while. They were just about to let me go home. I even started getting dressed when the OB noticed my bp was high and I said it had been for a couple of weeks so I was taking it 2 times a day. So back in bed they put me to run some blood tests. While I was talking to the OB I told her I could swear I was having contractions she felt my tummy and said maybe lets hook you up again and sure enough they started out a little irregular but then they went regular and got harder. Thankfully they weren't changing my cervix any further (I am already 1.5 cm dialated) so they prescribed procardia because of the bp and the contractions. They were going to keep me in the hospital and give me the steroids but the OB was nice and said I could do them from home on Monday because she felt I was not going to deliver in the next couple of day while I was on the procardia. How are you doing? I hope some women respond but I am guessing the better place for this post might be on the parenting board. Hugs. Jen

Twinz2403
11-02-2004, 12:22 AM
At 26 wks I was put on Brethene (sp?) to stop contractions. At 31 wks I was hospitalized, due to contractions, and put on larger doses of Brethene (sp?). That didn't work. A couple hrs later they put me on Magnesium Sulfate (and began my three(?) doses of steriod shots). I was on Magnesium Sulfate for @ 3 days, til finally my contractions stopped. I was sent home on Brethene, and put on Bed rest. I stayed on Brethene til I delivered at 36 wks. My OB origionally said that I had to take the Brethene til I was 40 wks. He said most his twin mommies went close to 40 wks.

mommy13
11-02-2004, 01:48 AM
Hello ladies,

I started labor exactly 24 hours after my last dose of Terbutaline! I was put on Terbutaline pills at 31 weeks and stayed on them until 36 weeks. I continued to get contractions, but nothing significant to start labor while on the medication. I was given the steroid shots at 32 weeks since the doctors thought that I would deliver any day. I shocked everyone, plus myself when I delivered at 36 weeks 4 days! Try to stay on the meds as long as possible. I wish all mommies to be on medication lots of luck. You will do a great job!

Catherine