PDA

View Full Version : Can't sleep, help! Tylenol PM or Benadryl?

Ela
01-22-2004, 03:36 AM
Hi....

So it's 2:30am and once again I am awke. Some nights I am awake every 2 hrs some every hr. Tonight is the latter.. No specific reason to wake up, just general discomfort. I have the body pillow but it doesn't seem our Q size bed is enough for us 2 and the body pillow.l

At our appt yesterday my OB mentioned Benadryl or at my suggestion Tylenol PM to get some sleep... I never had issues with sleeping (prior to this pg) and I don't now if these will knock me out cold completetly or will I be able to get up if I need to use potty? I don't want to wake up with the bladder ready to explore... Are these effective from your experience??

I've been migrating to couch EVERY night for weeks now and it's not really helping, except I don't wake up DH...

Thanks,
Ela
TWINS
33wk3 d

twoinjune
01-22-2004, 09:32 AM
When I was pregnant and on hospital bedrest, they prescribed Ambien to help me sleep and it worked wonders!!!!

However, by the time I was 35 weeks and out of the hospital nothing helped me sleep!!!

twice shy
01-22-2004, 09:44 AM
My wife had trouble sleeping late in pregnancy, but she was peeing every 2 hr, so go figure. Her Dr said not to be afraid to drink a glass of red wine (i think after 32 wks) to relax at night and sleep better. Of course don't do this without checking with your Dr first, but it worked for my wife. She did it maybe 2 -3 times per week is all. I had trouble after the twins came home and used a couple ambiens, but in reality I just needed to relax and work out a shift with my wife, then all was well. Good luck!

ibbtwins91101
01-22-2004, 11:59 AM
I was given ambien at 20 weeks but had to be very careful taking it one because there is no controlled study with pg women and two because it is addicitive. I found I could sleep best in a recliner or couch when I started getting to big. As far as benedryl or tylenol pm? Simply Sleep is the same as tylenol pm but without the tylenol (made by same co) and the benedryl ingredient is the same as the Simply Sleep both are mild and safe I was told I could take benedryl for sleeping as early as 9 weeks pg. Hope you get some rest soon! :)

Ela
01-22-2004, 12:05 PM
Just spoke with the OB office and they're more than OK with me drinking a glass of wine before going to bed!!@ I am sooo happy! They said that at this point, everyhing is developed and one glass of wine is the definately not going to do any damage!

(I don't drink hard liquer but I don't thin they'd be as open for that...)_

I'll give it a try before hitting the drugstore... And considering my lack of sleep combined with not having drunk wine for almost a year... well - I should have no problems tonight!

Ela
tWINS
33wk3d

twice shy
01-22-2004, 12:47 PM
Good for you. Enjoy it and relax. Hope you're well rested tomorrow!

Jennifer_T
01-22-2004, 03:50 PM
Hi Ela,
I donít have any great answers for you, but I just wanted to tell you that I am suffering too. I have had insomnia for several weeks. I have been on some kind of bed rest since 24 weeks, and I do NOT take naps during the day. I have a very distinct pattern that goes like this:
One night, Iíll sleep about 6-7 hours (but wake up every 1-2 hours to pee) and Iím perfectly happy.
Then, for the next two nights, I canít even get drowsy, let alone sleep. I lay in bed while my husband and my two dogs snore and pass gas. I canít stand it. I end up down on the couch (where I spend my life) and watch tv all night. Itís so lonely and it makes my body ache. Itís the worse feeling in the world. After the two nights of no sleeping, Iíll sleep again for another night, and the whole process repeats itself.

I think I am a mental case and have myself psyched out about sleeping. Last night I slept, so I am already fearing going to bed tonight. I have permission from my OB to drink wine (itís supposed to relieve contractions) but have not tried it for sleeping. I think I will do that tonight and see if it works. My OB has offered to prescribe Ambian, however I am nervous to take it while pregnant. There is one thing that I recently tried that that might help. Normally, I canít stand milk and the thought of drinking warm milk makes my stomach churn. Last night, I nuked some milk and stirred in some vanilla before bed time. I drank it and then I slept REALLY well last night. I was due to sleep though, so I donít know if it was the milk or just my pattern. I am going to try the wine tonight and see if that helps. If not, Iíll try the milk again for my second sleepless night.

I really donít mind staying up all night if itís to take care of babies. But for now, this total body discomfort and insomnia are doing to drive me into a straight jacketÖ

She814
01-22-2004, 03:56 PM
Hi Ela,

Me too! From this past thurs-sund I slept about 1-3 hours each night. I was nutz by Monday. I was so anxious from not being able to sleep.

I called my Dr. and she said I could take Tylenol PM. I've used it the past 2 nights and it's really helped. I do still wake up when I'm starving and have to pee but then I'm able to get back to sleep.

I highly recommend it!

Sheehan

bevvyb
01-22-2004, 10:03 PM
Tylenol PM is simply Tylenol and Benadryl put together in one little blue pill.

joybug
01-22-2004, 10:51 PM
You have to be careful about taking anytihing that is suppose to help you sleep. I tried both Tylenol Pm and Benadryl(not together of coarse), they both made me so hyper I felt as if I had done some hard core drug. I couldnt stop shaking and get my body to relax....it took six hours after taking the pill that I felt tired enough to lay down, by then everyone in the house was awake and ready for breakfast....becareful...hope the wine helps.

23wtwins
01-23-2004, 01:49 AM
I take a tylenol pm once a week (on my night off) when I cant sleep. Doc said its okay. Usual dosage is two but I only take one and it seems to work just fine, I dont fall into a deep sleep and I still am able to doze back after the nightly bathroom trips (would be up for at least an hour usually).

Ela
01-23-2004, 06:15 AM
OK, I only had a half a glass of red wine but it seemed to wor - now, like Jennifer, I don't now if it was the wine or me just being exhausted... I did wake up a couple of times, but overall i slept from 9pm - 4:30am. NOt bad!

THanks everyone...

Ela
TWINS
33w4d

5roman
01-23-2004, 03:38 PM
Sometimes I think it was practice for the newborn babies, cause they wake up, and now forever you will be a lighter sleeper. Try reading, re-learning all those baby songs and stories you will need to know in a few weeks, write in a diary. Also Nick at Night and TV Land! After awhile meds don't work anyway.

tiredmommy
01-30-2004, 05:35 PM
Ive also tried Tylenol PM, and just like some of the others I only take one and that seems to work just fine.
I took two once and it made me kind of wirey...
Good luck with the sleeping!