PDA

View Full Version : Do identical twins have identical birth marks?

MonkeyTamer
07-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Just wondering because La'a has a birth mark on the back of his head but Nalu doesn't. My Pedi wasn't sure so I thought I'd ask you guys.

EchoBabies
07-09-2008, 05:22 PM
ID twins can having quite striking differences, they share DNA to begin with, but as all DNA does, it mutates and evolves. By the time they are middle aged, their DNA can look very different from one another. Chances are there was just some subtle differences in the arrangement of some of the many genes involved. Consider it like ID furniture in ID houses, that are in two different locations. A little more sun coming in the window in one house will fade the couch faster than the other. A chair moved just slightly to the right will cause a stubbed toe every time, but the other house nobody ever does because it's just a hair out of the way.

Lissy
07-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Mine are identical (well, I'm pretty sure they are :snicker: ), and only Aiden has birth marks. Two of them. One on the back of his neck, and one on his pelvis. The dr. thinks the one on the neck will go away though :(

Lisah+4
07-09-2008, 06:55 PM
birthmarks should not be the same. They start to develop around 8 weeks gestation when the skin is forming and is extra pigmentation.

camdensmommy
07-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Erynn and Abby had no birthmarks when they were born. Now Abby has a small brown mark on the side of her head that Erynn doesn't have, and we know they are identical. I think it is possible that they can have a birthmark in the same place- but it doesn't have to be.
I like Sarah's explaination...

marasam1210
07-09-2008, 07:20 PM
My girls are ID. They have the same large birthmark on the back of their heads, but Samira has two additional birthmarks that her sister does not have. There are so many physical differences between my girls--length, weight (more than 2 lbs difference), and even their hair color was different for the first few months.

mmst8788
07-09-2008, 09:40 PM
I think it is possible but very unlikely. Like sarah said, they only share DNA. So they are genetically the same but not the same person. I've heard of mirror twins having exact same moles/birthmarks/whatever but on the opposite of each other. Mine definitely aren't mirror twins- they have many differences obviously. Madilyn does have a hemangioma on her chest while Madison doesn't. The derm says it should go away on its own. It developed a few weeks after birth.

teresab
07-09-2008, 11:59 PM
ID twins can have lots of differences. I should post a photo of my sisters, they are ID twins, 30 years old. They look really different right now since one is pregnant with her fourth baby!

Teresa

firefly
07-10-2008, 09:50 AM
ID twins can having quite striking differences, they share DNA to begin with, but as all DNA does, it mutates and evolves. By the time they are middle aged, their DNA can look very different from one another. Chances are there was just some subtle differences in the arrangement of some of the many genes involved. Consider it like ID furniture in ID houses, that are in two different locations. A little more sun coming in the window in one house will fade the couch faster than the other. A chair moved just slightly to the right will cause a stubbed toe every time, but the other house nobody ever does because it's just a hair out of the way.

mine have identical palm and foot markings, but on opposite feet.Same with a tiny blue vein on the bridge of their noses- one on the right , one on the left.I believe they might be mirror image twins? Neither of them have birthmarks though.

marasam1210
07-10-2008, 03:07 PM
I believe they might be mirror image twins?

Sounds like it to me! What about the swirls on the back of their heads?

firefly
07-10-2008, 04:04 PM
i also think one is a righty and the other a lefty... we'll see. I'll check the swirls. I wonder if it has to be the exact opposite with everything in order for them to be mirror twins? I mean their internal organs are all in the right place. i'm going to look into it.

MonkeyTamer
07-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks ladies. I was just wondering because I thought it would be an easy way to tell if they are ID or not. I guess the mystery continues...

i also think one is a righty and the other a lefty... we'll see. I'll check the swirls.

Are the swirls called cowlicks too? They also call them a giddy giddy. It's when the hair grows in a circle. La'a and Nalu have the exact same two on the back of their heads in the same places. It's also a Japanese old wives tale that the more giddy giddies a baby has, the more mischievous the baby is. Nalu has 3, I guess I have my work cut out for me!

lissyds
07-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Mine are ID and have some of the same markings, and others that are different. They both have birthmarks on the back of their heads, but beauty marks that are in slightly different/totally different places.

pandapawz
07-10-2008, 08:59 PM
it's extremely rare for mirror twins to have mirror organs. Most mirror twins just have the things like hair swirls different. One tends to be a righty and the other a lefty. Although it is VERY common for any set of identical twins to have one a righty and one a lefty without being a mirror twin. There's a study they are doing to figure this out. One hypothises is that when the egg splits it splits down the middle and becomes the "left" side and the "right" side. Who knows!

My ID girls don't have any birthmarks. They were both born with a stork kiss on their forehead but that has already faded. (It reappears SOMETIMEs when they are crying really hard though.)